PiKVM review - How to Control Your PC or Laptop remotely

I backed the PiKVM Kickstarter a few months back. When they announced that device I was really excited to finally get something like this in an affordable price range.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ajfriesen.com/pikvm-review/

Hi! I really like this post, and I am considering getting myself one of those as well because of how many headless stuff I have to manage. My only complaint (and I guess request) is can you elaborate a bit more about the problem with Arch? I understand it’s a rolling system but it’s really not that easy to break. I have used it extensively for a long time and nothing updates wise was the cause for these arch builds to break. How is it holding up for you right now?

Sorry for the late reply, I did not get a notification on that. Guess I I have to get into the settings again :sweat_smile:

About Arch. I have run Arch at home and at work as well. So plenty of experience.

The problem I see is:
If you do not update for a long time which I assume for such a device you might have a bad time upgrading. I am talking about waiting for 3, 6, or even more months.

At that point in time, it maybe would make more sense to just flash the newest image from the PiKVM creator.

How is it holding up for you right now?

How is it holding up for you right now?

It works just about perfect for now. I guess I will try to upgrade in 6 months and get back here? :smiley:

Great article. I’ve built one using Pi 4B and the PiKVM v.3.3 HAT, because I need to service laptops (PC and Mac) remotely. Having difficulty with all my HP laptops in that video, keyboard and mouse are unavailable when the computer is booted into UEFI. It works fine connecting to my Intel NUC. How did you get yours to work?

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment, I take it.

Having difficulty with all my HP laptops in that video, keyboard and mouse are unavailable when the computer is booted into UEFI. It works fine connecting to my Intel NUC. How did you get yours to work?

I had no problems at all regarding entering the UEFI or BIOS on my systems. But I remember reading some compatibility issues with specific motherboard brands:

I found this knows issues section in the docs:

• There may be compatibility issues with some motherboards (such as HP or DELL) which are the same as those that exist with PiKVM v2. Not everything is perfect, but if you have already used PiKVM v2 - our new v3 will work perfectly and please you. If there is no image from the BIOS, you can fine-tune the HDMI settings, but it is possible that the Mass Storage devices will not be available in the BIOS.

Have a look at this GitHub issue which had a quick fix for an HP laptop.